A mother of four, identified as Onyeka Anene, was reportedly electrocuted in Ogwashi-Uku, Aniocha South Local Government Area, Delta State.
It was gathered that the incident could have been caused by the high voltage distributed to the area by the Benin Electricity Distribution Company, BEDC, after over 10 years of power outage in the community.
A source in the community said there had been a high voltage in the high tension lines between Ogwashi-Uku Motor Park and Ubulu-Unor Junction, off Agidihe Quarters of the community, which led to electric sparks on the high tension cables.
The source added that it was late Onyeka Anene that alerted their neighbours, who were not at home, that the electric wires going to their flats were touching and in flames.
When their neighbours came to switch off their control boxes, the deceased had taken her four children to their school close by.
The source said: “On her return from the school run, she handed her little baby to the house help and made to open the burglary gate to their flat. Unknown to her the gate was alive with electricity current and that was how she was electrocuted.
“When the woman was knocked down, she was rushed to the General Hospital in Ogwashi-Uku, where the medical team could not do much.
“It was from there she was rushed to St. Luke Hospital, Asaba, where she was confirmed dead. We have deposited her remains at the General Hospital morgue.”
Confirming the incident, Corporate Affairs Officer of BEDC, Mrs. Esther Okolie, described it as most unfortunate, saying they were investigating the incident.
Source: Nigeria Today