The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has said the safety campaigns it started recently have reduced cases of electrical accidents across Kogi, Nasarawa, Niger and its Abuja service area.
The Director Risk and Compliance, Mr Collins Chabuka, who disclosed this last weekend while sensitising schools in Abuja about electrical safety, said “We have done this campaign for sometime and the impact is that people are beginning to demonstrate the knowledge to improve safety.”
Speaking to pupils at Jabi LEA School in Abuja, Mr Chabuka cautioned them against playing with wires at home and told parents to cover naked wires. “Tell mummy not to put clothes on service wires because it is dangerous,” he said.
One of the pupils, Sunday Titus, said he learnt that children should not touch electricity cables because it is dangerous.
At Jahi II LEA School, AEDC sensitised pupils and residents of the community on the dangers of mounting TV antennas to the roof top that are exposed to electricity lines saying it could cause shock when such wires become exposed.
The Chief of Jahi II, Chief Salihu Adamu, lauded the project saying his community members will join in extending the message of electrical safety.